Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Yield approximately 14 cups
Note: For ease of peeling and cutting the squash, pierce several times with the tines of a fork and microwave for 3 minutes. Allow to cool and proceed with recipe
- 5 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into ½ inch rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon Savor
- 2 – 49 1/2 ounce cans low sodium chicken stock or vegetable stock
- garnish (optional) 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Place the vegetables into a large bowl, add the oil and Savor, toss to coat.
- Divide the squash mixture between two one half sheet pans and place into oven. Roast for about 30 minutes or until the mixture is nicely browned, it does not have to be cooked through.
- Place squash into a Dutch oven, add the stock and cook until the vegetables are very soft, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender, or puree in batches in a blender. Be extremely cautious when blending hot liquids in a blender, never fill more than 1/2 full. For an even smoother soup, pass through a fine mesh strainer.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more Savor if necessary. If a thinner soup is desired, add more stock and heat through.
To serve, ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with a few pumpkin seeds if using.