Harissa Chicken with Cannellini Beans and Kale
Note: This is a great weeknight dinner and you’ll only have one skillet to wash! The recipe assembles quickly so make sure you have all of your ingredients ready. If you’re sensitive to spicy food or cooking for kids, start with the two tablespoons of the prepared Savor Harissa. You can always add more if you want it spicier.
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons Savor All-Purpose Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced, about 2 cups
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bunch kale, stripped and cut into ribbons
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken stock, divided
- 2-3 tablespoons Savor Harissa Mix, prepared
- 2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 preserved lemon, chopped or the zest of 1 lemon
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Season both sides of the chicken with the Savor All-Purpose
- Place a large oven proof skillet (I prefer cast-iron) on medium high heat.
- When the skillet is hot add the olive oil and immediately add the chicken.
- In two batches, cook the chicken for about 2 1/2 minutes per side until browned, remove to a plate and repeat with the second batch.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion and garlic to the now empty pan and cook until softened, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until rust colored, about a minute more.
- Place the kale and 1/4 cup of the stock into to pan with the onions and stir until the kale wilts and softens, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the Harissa, remaining stock, oregano and lemon, stir to combine.
- Finally gently stir in the beans.
- Nestle the chicken into the bean mixture and pour any accumulated juices over the top.
- Place the skillet uncovered, into the oven and cook for about 20 minutes or until the chicken has an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
To serve, place chicken and bean mixture into shallow bowls to catch all the yummy juices. Nice crusty French bread would be a great addition to the meal.