Chicken Chili Verde
Note: This is a super easy super flavorful dish. Jalapenos very in heat from almost tasting like a bell pepper to fiery hot. I always taste the chili so I can make necessary adjustments. Serve the chili verde over your favorite rice recipe to soak up all the yummy juices. You can also easily turn this into amazing enchiladas or tacos.
- 2 pounds tomatillos, husked and cut in into halves (quarters if large)
- 1 large poblano or pasilla chili, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 or 2 jalapenos cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 medium sweet onion peeled and cut into eighths
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled left whole
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil (corn, canola)
- 3 teaspoons Savor All-Purpose seasoning, divided
- 3 1/2 to 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Diced red onion
- Lime wedges
- Cotija cheese
- Toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Place the vegetables into a large bowl, add the oil and 1 teaspoon of Savor, toss to coat.
- Add the vegetables to a 1/2 sheet pan and place into the oven
- Roast for 35-40 minutes, stirring 1/2 way through cooking time. The vegetables should start to char and soften.
- With a rubber spatula scrape the vegetables, any juice and brown bits into the work bowl of a food processor. Pulse to puree. It won’t be a smooth sauce.
- Season the chicken with the remaining 2 teaspoons of Savor
- Layer the tomatillo sauce and chicken in a 3 inch deep 9×12 pan or dutch oven. Cover tightly with foil or lid.
- Place in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the chicken is fall apart tender.
To Serve: Mound the rice on a large platter and then top with the chicken chili verde and your choice of garnishes. Or, you can plate individually and let your guests help themselves to the garnishes.